Now, I don’t know about you but for us new year’s resolutions are usually in and out before the end of January, often leaving us a little disheartened – am I right?
This year, let’s shift our mindset from fleeting resolutions to the idea of embracing a healthier lifestyle, one that involves both you and your four-legged friend! In this blog post, we’ll explore the benefits of adopting small habits for a more active life and delve into the exciting journey of training for a 5km with your pup. Here’s how-
Chapter 1: Small Habits for a Healthier Life
- Instead of setting ambitious resolutions, consider the concept of cultivating small habits that contribute to a healthier, more active lifestyle. This change in mindset lays the foundation for long-term success.
- Break down your fitness aspirations into achievable goals, making them more manageable and less overwhelming. This step-by-step approach fosters gradual progress and increases the likelihood of sustained commitment. See here for how to set SMART goals.
Joint Effort with Your Pup:
- We already know doing everything with our pups is the best! However when it comes to running the companionship not only gets you more motivated but also deepens the bond with your furry friend because dogs LOVE to run. See here for an inspiring story about a guy training to run with his pooch!
- Acknowledge that progress takes time. Begin your fitness journey with manageable distances and paces, allowing both you and your dog to adapt gradually. This measured approach minimises the risk of burnout and injuries.
Celebrating Small Wins:
- Recognise and celebrate the milestones, no matter how small. Whether it’s completing a set distance or witnessing improvements in your pup’s endurance, acknowledging these victories reinforces positive changes.
Establishing a Routine:
- Consistency is key to making any lifestyle change stick. Set a regular routine for your workouts with your dog, instilling discipline and creating a structured, enjoyable activity for both of you.
Now let’s get to the fun stuff!
Chapter 2: Training for a 5km with Your Pup
A Joint Fitness Journey:
- Extend the concept of a shared fitness routine to training for a 5km. Your dog becomes not only your workout buddy but also your running partner, making the entire experience more fulfilling.
Starting the 5km Journey:
- Begin the training process slowly, understanding that both you and your pup need time to adapt. Gradually increase distances and running intervals, ensuring a steady progression toward the 5km goal.
- In the words of Krissy Moehl (Ruffwear Ambassador and running coach) “Find a pace that you can talk to your pup without gasping. If you are breathing hard on these first few runs, then back off on pace until you can talk. Walking is a perfectly acceptable place to start.”
Listening to Your Bodies:
- Before you even begin, don’t forget to pay a quick visit to your doctor and to your dog’s vet before beginning anything new.
As you start your fitness journey, pay close attention to how your body and your dog’s body respond to increased activity. If signs of fatigue or discomfort arise, be open to adjusting the training plan. The focus is on well-being and enjoyment, not pushing beyond limits.
Nutrition for Both:
- Support your active lifestyle with a balanced diet for both you and your pup. Consult with your vet to ensure your furry running companion is getting the nutrients needed to sustain the increased activity. See ZiwiPeak for all the best Dog food and nutrition advice.
The Right Kit:
When selecting gear, a variety of belts, leashes, and attachments are available for both you and your dog. Your personal comfort is a crucial factor in making a choice. However, it’s essential to prioritise gear that does not impede your dog’s natural movements during a run. While collars can be uncomfortable for their necks, certain harnesses may limit shoulder mobility. Thorough research is key to identifying the most suitable options for your four-legged companion.
See a full in- depth training plan for you and your pooch here. Ruffwear’s ambassador and running coach runner Krissy Moehl provides a week by week program for you to get straight into it.
You’ve got this!
Wanting to read more? See this short story about adventuring with your pooch
Wear your love of Dogs! See our Top Dog merch shirts for an extra bit of motivation to get out there.